Sunday, August 06, 2006

I Can't Get No.... Satisfaction


It is so hard to buy anything these days. You can go online and research the product, but everywhere you go, there are reviews, most of which are terrible. Is it that all products produced these days are defective or are only the folks that are disgruntled are writing reviews. I had been looking for a new refrigerator for the house. My daughter lives with me with her four kids, so we have a world of juice boxes, applesauces, yoguarts, etc--and no place to put the pop, water, or even to fit all of the veggies--plus my frig had not crispers--it was one of my first purchases with my new husband 12 years ago.

So, we had been looking, thinking about a bottom-freezer type in stainless (for our redone kitchen that we have been planning for the last 7 years--and still planning). It was hard to find one that was going to be big enough, or didn't cost over 2000 dollars. So, after looking at several places, we went to Home Depot and got sucked in on the 10% off if you signed up for a credit card, and no tax--(tax free holiday in Georgia for appliances if they were energy star compliant). So, we found one, and it will be delivered on Friday. I had heard that LG was pretty good but, then I read the reviews, they were bad--I guess I can hope for the best, prepare for the worst. But, what is it these days, is construction so bad--does no one care about the job they do? Are things made in "America" worse than things made overseas with "slave labor" or "foreign labor"?

What ever happened to pride in one's work? Is the almighty dollar the only incentive, and even if you make it, it doesn't mean you have to care? It amazes me to live in Atlanta, and see all of these people living in very expensive houses, driving very expensive cars, eating out all the time and wonder--what are they doing differently to be able to afford all of this stuff? How could this many people be making so much more money than me? What kind of jobs do they have? How could employers afford to pay so many people so much money?

Well, for those of us who have to work for a living, and don't make gobs of money, we should at least be able to buy something and have it work the first time, not after three replacements. We should be able to buy stuff that will last 10 years without feeling we need to buy an extended warranty, because you never know what you are going to get, you should be confident that what you spend your hard earned money on will be worth the price you pay.

We will see on this new refrigerator. If it doesn't work out, believe me, I am the first to write, complain, pitch a fit, you name it. But I hate having to do that, and we shouldn't have to. For anyone who reads this (no one does other than some family and a couple of folks at work that I've sent the link too)---let's all put our pride, our skills, and our word into the jobs we do. At least if a few of us make the commitment, we can be an example for the rest.

Another hot humid Sunday in Atlanta

Nancy

No comments: