Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Riding the Roller Coaster


I am constantly amazed at how much life is like a roller coaster. You have the highs, the lows, the parts that scare you to death, the parts where you scream at the top of your lungs, and the part where you finally get to get off the ride and find a more level path to follow. I still don't seem to have found that more level path, or should I say the people I associate with, my family, my co-workers, my friends keep throwing me back on that ride--I think they think I enjoy it. Honestly, folks, I hate roller coasters-I love the level path, and one day, dang you guys, I'm gonna get there, if I have to take all of you with me kicking and screaming. I would like to think that I can have more than 2 days in a row of relative peace, quiet, and everybody on an even keel.

So the latest person to throw me back on the ride has been my second son. He has been living in Albuquerque, and for the most part doing a damn good job of being independent. He moved back to New Mexico about 16 months ago. I had given him my old Suzuki Sidekick (the cheapest 4WD you can get) when he moved. He sold the car , and flew home for a visit and hoping to find a used car in Atlanta to drive back with. Well, let's just say, people have some pretty crappy junk cars that they think are worth their weight in gold. It was pretty depressing, and since I had offered him my car, my cute little Suzuki wagon,(see picture in previous post), I felt compelled to go ahead and give it to him. Well, we had a little different on the agreed upon price, but we had come to an understanding(I understood that if we wanted the rest of his vacation to be peaceful, I needed to give a little, and so did he). So, we had come to a middle ground, and he was spending the day trying to get a stereo system installed in the car for the ride home. Well, in the midst of that, he got his debit card and cash that he had brought from New Mexico stolen. By the time we got the bank to cancel the card, they had run off with over 600 dollars in cash and 700 dollars in the account. I'm sorry, but I absolutely hate the fact that we can't trust anyone anymore. I hate the fact that people prey on others and take advantage of them. Fuck them all.(excuse my language) It is one of those times that if I could find the crooks, I honestly think that I could inflict bodily harm on them. How dare they hurt my son. He is one of those kids that have had enough tough knocks to take out an elephant. Why him? Why now when we were just getting to place of mutual understanding. I know life isn't fair, but it does seem that some folks get more than their share, and I'm tired of it. So, I can tell you, if you fit the description, you better keep your distance, a mother mad is a force to reckon with.

And, to top it off, my poor husband, having to work outside during this heat spell, with a heat index of 110, fell down a hill, hurt his back, ripped his pants, and will have to go back out there again tomorrow.

I sure hope tomorrow is a better day. I don't want to ride tomorrow.

And you wonder why this blog is called "Stranded in Atlanta"

Nancy

2 comments:

paris parfait said...

Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog. My what a time you, your son and husband have had! Hope things get better in a big hurry. I'm just seeing your blog for the first time, but it looks like you lived in New Mexico. I lived in Santa Fe for a year while telecommuting for a company in San Francisco. I first saw NM at the age of five and fell in love with it. No place like it - and Atlanta must be quite an adjustment! Still Atlanta has its charms and benefits. I'll be back to read more of your blog!

Nancy said...

Thanks so much, and I really liked your blog as well. Yes, lived in Santa Fe for 8 years all together.