Tuesday, August 08, 2006

What's Love Got to Do With It?

I have been amazed at the rate of divorce in this country. I wonder if this happens in other countries at such a rate. Guess I will need to research it, but I was thinking about Love and marriage, partners, children and how different it often is. We are supposed to have unconditional love for our children. I was raised that your parents loved you, they might not always like you or your behavior, but they always loved you. I kind of thought that marriage was supposed to be that way. That you unconditionally loved your spouse, but there were times when you didn't necessarily like them. Well, I learned the hard way that unconditional love doesn't necessarily come with marriage. Guess that's why I have an ex. I have recently been taking an online class on the psychology of leadership. It talks about unconditional acceptance and the permission to be human. Our friends should be our "beautiful enemies", not just agreeing with everything we say, but they should give us permission to be human. I know that is one thing I can say about my present husband. He has given me unconditional acceptance since the day I met him, and 12 years later, that definitely hasn't changed. I have tried hard to follow his example, and for the most part, other than him leaving his dirty socks on the floor, it is pretty easy to do. I can burp, or fart around him(when it gets away from you) and know that he won't tease me, or berate me for doing it. I can get angry, or cry at a movie, or yell at the crazy drivers on the road, and he understands and allows me to be me--the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I have learned so much from him over the years--stuff I thought I knew, but obviously didn't practice. I have learned how to be a better leader by watching him. I have learned to be more giving, more understanding, and less judgmental. So, I think Love and being loving gives us the safety to be who we are, and I'm thankful every day.

1 comment:

paris parfait said...

Lovely tribute to your husband - and to the woman you've become!