Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Center of the Universe



When I lived on Hopi, I was told that the Hopi Reservation was the Center of the Universe. The story was that the Four Corners Area of the Southwest and the Himalayan Mountains have more land based lightening that anywhere else in the world, therefore setting up the flow of negative ions. The whole negative ion thing is pretty interesting. You find negative ions at the beach, the mountains, around waterfalls, and when lightening strikes. So, all those places that often makes me feel good are full of negative ions.(except you don't want to be too close to the lightning--I do love to watch it though)

I'm not sure I always felt good on Hopi--it is a challenging environment to move into, being a "bahana" on the Res. It was my first long term experience in living in a culture for which English is not the primary language, and I'm sure I was the brunt of many jokes that I never knew about while I was there.

It was also my first experience of not having all the things we take for granted. During our stay, I had to haul water for drinking and bathing(and flushing the toilet), haul coal for heating, and plan grocery shopping carefully since Winslow was the closest nontrading post grocery store.

But, we also got to do things I never thought I would get to do, like barter for a mustang foal(horse not car) and raise him, attend night dances in a kiva, be the brunt of the Hopi clowns at a bean dance, and get to experience a very traditional intact culture. I learned to shoot a rifle at beer cans on the side of the mesa, ride horses out on the range, through the arroyos, explore ancient ruins and petroglyphs, and step outside of my comfort zone.

So, in some ways, I definitely understand for four years, I was at the center of the universe.

No comments: