Monday, July 31, 2006

Our Guardian Angels


My Dad died unexpectedly last November. He was 88, had successfully gone through colon cancer surgery and had bright prospects for a full recovery, when the physicians in this small North Carolina hospital, didn't keep on top of his situation and he developed blood clots in both sides of his lungs. They transported him to Asheville, but it was too late. He died on November 5, 2005. It was a devastating blow for all of us. He and my Mom had been married for 60 years. They had celebrated their anniversary in July, his birthday in August, and no one had any thoughts other than he would recover with no problems. He still went to the gym 5 days a week, walked on the treadmill and lifted weights. He could have probably still out arm wrestled us all.

Needless to say our family was thrown into turmoil. Then, several things happened to make us realize that he was still with us, as our guardian angel. The first strange occurrence was when I was putting together a slide show for the funeral. The picture of him at his 88th birthday party at the gym was now my desktop wallpaper. My husband and I looked at each other--"Did you do that?" Not me, my husband said--I don't even know how to do that. So, every day when we get on the computer, there is my Dad.

Then, at Spring break, my daughter was driving back from Orlando when she took the kids to Disney World. She watched as this Lexus sedan with two young women went tearing around her, and then around a school bus. As the car cut back into it's lane, it lost control and when flipping across the median and on top of another car. My daughter-said it was like someone put their hands over her ears. She saw the wreck as if in slow motion, but she didn't hear one sound, not the crushing of metal, or collision. Not one piece of flying metal (and given that the car was going around 80 mph) flew towards her car. She pulled to the side of the road and called 911 to report the wreck. She called me a few minutes later, still shaking to tell me what had happened.

Then, a month or so later, my Mom was driving my uncle's car while her car was being repaired. She got T-boned by a car that came out of no where going about 60 mph. She was taken by ambulance to the Hospital, but other than soreness, she was unhurt.

I think God realized how much this family needed a guardian angel and took my Dad so he could help look after us. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him and miss him, but I know he is looking out for us.

Thanks Dad,

Nancy

1 comment:

jnwilliams76 said...

That is very nice! Thanks for making me smile today.