Saturday, September 30, 2006

Shot Through the Heart-and You're to Blame

Friends--I guess I haven't had a lot of them in my lifetime, and on several occasions, I have been stabbed in the back. Makes me want to join a convent, take a vow of silence and never talk to anybody again (other than my husband, so I guess I can't do the convent thing). What is it about people that when they are mad, upset, or angry, that they often take their emotions out on the very people that have been there, trying to help them. Of course, in this situation, I made the mistake of having a co-worker as a friend, and then when I got moved into a management position, I tried to still be a friend--hell, I had been a friend for 2 years before they decided to make me a manager. So, the minute you are a manager, I guess, all bets are off, and friendship flies out the window, especially if you have to "counsel" someone. I keep talking about the fact that I am "what you see is what you get". I am not anything other than myself. I care about the people I work with, (when you spend 8 hours a day with folks, you should hopefully care about them to some degree). So, I trust people, think that they are like me, and aren't out get you. Well, guess what--don't believe it.

So, it's a good thing I will be gone for two weeks, because if I had to go to work and see this person, I would probably say something I shouldn't say. I've learned my lesson--don't be friends with the people you work with, (other than the ones that are far away and you don't supervise).

No comments: